Friday, November 2, 2007

...What next?

So I'm starting another blog. I figure since I've recently become an officially published journalist, I should keep up with the trends and create a "presence" for myself online. (I'm sorry, Wayne MacPhail... from now on, I'll try not to be such a technologically-incompetent 20-something.)

Unlike whatever daily drivel you may see me writing on Facebook, this is going to be where I post any articles or stories I get published in the real world. I'll post the ONE newspaper story that's out there so far -- and just so that one doesn't get lonely, I'll also post my old articles from my undergraduate student paper. This will also have the purpose of allowing me to feel better about myself by seeing the progress I've made in the last two years.

So without further ado... here are the very beginnings of my career.

The London Free Press
Tue, October 30, 2007
Witches favoured over princesses:
Costume choices this year lean toward the dark side.
By MEGHAN MOLONEY, SPECIAL TO SUN MEDIA

Cute is out. Scary and sleazy are in.

The preferences are clear for this year's hottest-selling Halloween
costumes -- and you might be surprised by what girls are wearing.

Or maybe not.

Disney and kittens aren't faring too well at cash registers this year,
say clerks at costume-specialty stores.

More popular -- and likely coming tomorrow to trick-or-treat at your
door -- are the darker, more adult costumes.

At the new Party Packagers store on Southdale Road, manager Michelle
Nemeth says girls' choices have leaned toward the dark side this year.

"The cutesy stuff is not popular. It's more witchy, goth stuff -- the
monster bride, the goth maiden witch."

For adults, she said, "skimpiest sells."

Even costumes for very young girls are more risque. Nemeth points to
Bratz brand cheerleader outfits.

For boys, a big seller has been Optimus Prime of the Transformers
movie -- Nemeth has sold out of them twice -- as well as the classic,
red-outfitted Spiderman.

Men favour the black-suited, bad-guy Spiderman, she said.

Tastes run to the more traditional at Value Village and McCulloch's,
with princess and fairy costumes still favourites for girls.

Crystal Sheridan at McCulloch's said teen girls are still keen on
fairy tales, only they're considerably sexier than the ones you'll see
in the Disney movies.

Boys, influenced by recent movies, have been going for army outfits
and comic-book superheroes.

Tiny pirates also will be sailing the trick-or-treat seas.

Jen Lee, an employee at the Wellington Road Value Village, said these
boys and girls "have probably been inspired by Pirates of the
Caribbean."

No comments: