Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Online Book Stuff Post the Second: In Which I Get Really Excited About Reading Lists

Thanks to Jamie at The Broke and the Bookish, today I discovered another book blog: A Striped Armchair, by Eva. I really like her writing style and I think our taste in books is quite similar, so this is another one I'll be trying to follow regularly.

On this blog, Eva has created a page entirely devoted to her yearly reading lists. They are insanely ambitious, for reasons she describes in her 'About' section. I doubt that I will ever be in a position to compete with that prolific list -- not that it's a competition or anything... But I really like the idea of using a blog page to post past and current reads.

I once estimated that I read around 30 books per semester as an undergraduate majoring in English literature and Anthropology, with other courses spanning Sociology, Political Science, Women's Studies, Linguistics, and more. A lot of those were textbooks or non-fiction books related to course work, but from second through fourth years, I took three English courses each semester and many of the texts I read were fiction. So I did manage to plow through a lot of novels and story collections during my university years -- and that doesn't include books I read for "fun" during summers or holidays.

Since then, my progress through reading lists has slowed down radically. In journalism school, I barely read anything that wasn't a newspaper, an online news source, or a textbook about Marshall McLuhan. (How much do I wish that Douglas Coupland's biography of McLuhan had been out in 2007? A lot.) As a post-grad, I was too busy looking for jobs and having pre-quarter-life crises to be able to wrap my head around serious lit-rah-chah. But when I am not reading, I miss it in a very tangible way. So despite having a full-time job and being an adult-type-person with real-life responsibilities, I am trying these days to spend more time reading and less time watching TV. I actually canceled my cable last month -- this is serious business.

Given everything I mentioned in my post yesterday about online book communities, I'm not sure posting a reading list on a blog page is any more interactive than the Excel list I keep on my laptop. (I wasn't kidding about the Excel list. My mother is a statistician -- lists are also serious business in our family.) But at least it allows me to share my picks with others, if not generating automatic recommendations from Indigo or publishers.

A friend of mine sent me a comment on Facebook after reading yesterday's post, saying she uses Wereads (formerly ireads) and had a good experience. If you use any of the book communities and have good or bad things to say, please let me know in the comments section.

7 comments:

H said...

I love spreadsheets. You know I do. Must be in the genes too.

Why can't it be a challenge? Like on HIMYM? "CHALLENGE... ACCEPTED!"

Meghan said...

Hey I'm all for it, but then I'd probably lose my job and my apartment, seeing as I'd be doing nothing but reading.

Eva said...

The reading lists that I post aren't books I plan to read a year: that would be insanely ambitious! Unless you're referring to my books read page? I'm glad that you're enjoying my blog and we have similar taste. :)

I don't use any of the book communities (Goodreads, Library Thing, etc.) so I can't help you on advice there. But book blogging is a lot of fun! It cuts into reading time, though. ;)

Meghan said...

Hi Eva, thanks for your comment! I was referring to your Books Read page... :) I have been very inspired by several of your posts, both reviews and ideas like the home library! Oh and I'm working on getting my own special comfy Reading Chair for when I move in a few weeks.

Eva said...

Oh, ok! Good luck with getting your own reading chair. :D

rachaelannep said...

i really appreciated your spelling of literature to sound like you were British/classy.

new blog!

http://ladylikeness.blogspot.com

Meghan said...

OBVIOUSLY I am super classy.
Excited to see your new bloggy! xo